WARNING – Don’t play with /system /boot /vendor partitions unless you know what you’re doing.
#0.0 Unlock the Bootloader
Before unboxing the device – Check the IMEI for Bootloader unlockable or not. Visit Verzion’s BYOD checker
- Check for the IMEI and you should get similar to “GOOGLE PIXEL 2 NON-VZW Prepaid”
- You’re good to proceed
- Turn-on the device. Don’t connect to Internet; No SIM ; No Wi-Fi.
- Turn on Developer mode by Pressing 7 times on build number
- Ensure your computer OS (Windows or Gnu/Linux) loaded with adb & fastboot with right drivers – This is very important
- Connect with computer and confirm the Pixel2 communicates with Computer OS;
- Turn-on debug mode and ensure adb devices list the device; Also check for fastboot devices as well
- Check the Unlock bootloader option in Developer Options
- It may disabled and may say, Connect to Internet or contact your carrier – that’s fine
- Now connect to Wi-Fi ; No SIM please
- Unlock bootloader now enable the option ; – Go quick and turn the option
- Boot the device into fastboot mode & confirm device still communicate with computer
- Try unlocking the bootloader with :
fastboot flashing unlock_critical
- Follow the screen options and confirm the unlocking. All done.
#0.1 START W/ STOCK ROM INSTALL
- Download Stock image from Google Dev
- Connect to computer & flash the stock rom
flash-all.bat # from terminal
Encountered FAILED (Write to device failed in SendBuffer() (Unknown error))
- Changing cable + Run as admin – Work (Use USB-Class C Cable)
#1 –TWRP – Your friendly recovery
- Boot TWRP not flash as recovery – Temporary
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img # FAILED fastboot boot twrp-3.3.0-0-walleye.img # WORKS
- Go to `Advanced` and select
Install Recovery Ramdisk. This will install TWRP
#2 – ROOTING – Be your own boss
- README – https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html#patching-images
adb shell ls /sdcard/Download Magisk-v23.0.apk boot.img magisk_patched-23000_xsEuM.img adb pull /sdcard/Download/magisk_patched-23000_xsEuM.img . /sdcard/Download/magisk_patched-23000_xsEuM.img: 1 file pulled, 0 skipped. 6.5 MB/s (33554432 bytes in 4.916s) adb reboot bootloader fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-23000_xsEuM.img Sending 'boot_a' (32768 KB) OKAY [ 0.759s] Writing 'boot_a' OKAY [ 0.204s] Finished. Total time: 2.194s
Recovery failed ? Recovery loop ?
Read this – `https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html#custom-recovery`
adb push ..\ROOT\Magisk-v23.0.zip /sdcard/Download ..\ROOT\Magisk-v23.0.zip: 1 file pushed, 0 skipped. 24.8 MB/s (6874374 bytes in 0.265s)
#3 – CUSTOM ROM
Install your favorite custom ROM from TWRP
11/21/2021 11:34 PM 1,045,528,752 RROS-Q-8.5.9-20200905-walleye-Official.zip
#4 – Google Play Services
Update Android WebView
#99 -Troubleshooting section
TWRP LOOP ?
Flash img boot >> magisk_patched-23000_xsEuM.img
Clean the boot –
fastboot flash boot ..\ROMS\STOCK\8\boot.img
Issue : RR installed – ROOT GONE
Solution – Install TWRP as perm ; Flash Magisk using zip
Update 12/9 – For future me : In-case of boot stuck at Google logo and recovery shows
/sdcard encrypted, don’t get panic! Prepare your mind: Your data is gone. Next:
- Go to recovery or boot into recovery using
- In recovery, move ROM from laptop to phone’s
- Flash the ROM; You may need to FORMAT to operate the new OS
Update 5/16/2022 : Troubleshooting
Issue : No Wi-Fi ; No SIM detection post flashing new ROM ?
Solution – Sounds like booted on wrong slot. Check the slot. (Tip: You can find the slot info in bootloader screen) or use the below command. Switch to right slot from TWRP and reboot.
$fastboot getvar "current-slot" current-slot: a
adb shell su pm enable com.google.android.setupwizard/com.google.android.setupwizard.SetupWizardActivity settings put secure user_setup_complete 0